Happy Easter all!
By now you should now that I love tasty food. I love meat, I love veggies – so living a Paleo life has been, as the kids say, “totes amazeballs.” I know, I am such a weirdo … Anyway.
Today I celebrated Easter in true Colorado-style – a short hike in Garden on the Gods, followed by grilling out and eating on the deck. With brilliant blue skies, a hot sun, and 70-degree weather, I’m not only rocking a full belly, but a sweet early-spring sunburn as well.
What did we eat? Spicy beef burgers paired with sweet potato/carrot buns, topped with caramelized onions and Bird Dog BBQ sauce (leftover from lunch yesterday), paired with grilled asparagus and raw veggies.
Caramelized Onions – start these first. Slice 1 yellow onion into thin rings. Add to a skillet with 3 tablespoons butter. Cook on low-medium heat while you prepare the burgers and the buns. Stir the onions every so often to prevent sticking and/or burning. When done, pile these delicious, sweet, buttery suckers onto your burger and enjoy.
The burger and bun recipes came from Practical Paleo. Go buy this book. Seriously.
Ingredients – yields 4 burgers
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika (I recommend Penzey’s Smoked Spanish Paprika)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb ground beef (I recommend 90/10. Why? Because if you buy 85/15, the fat will cook off and you’ll be left with 85 instead of 90. Economics, people.)
- Heat up the grill to medium-high heat.
- Grill the jalapeno until the skin is completely blackened. Then run under cool water and use a knife to scrape off the skin. DO NOT TOUCH WITH YOUR FINGERS. I once diced jalapenos and then touched my eye. Never again. Never.
- Remove the seeds and then mince the jalapeno. Mix all ingredients in a large mixing ground, being sure to mix thoroughly.
- Shape into four patties.
- Grill 5 minutes each side or until done to your preference.
Carrot/Sweet Potato Pancakes – yields- 5 large pancakes. Next time I am going to aim for 8 smaller pancakes so that they don’t overhang the burgers quite as much (see photo).
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sweet potatoes ( use a food processor!)
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- Coconut oil for pan frying
- In a medium-sized bowl, use an egg beater to mix the eggs with the coconut four, cinnamon, ground ginger and sea salt.
- Place the shredded sweet potato and carrot into a large microwave-safe bowl. Cover with a microwave-safe plate. Add 2 tablespoons water and the nuke for 5 minutes. This will make your sweet potato/carrot mixture soft and easier to cook.
- Mix the shredded sweet potato/carrot mixture with the rest of the ingredients until well combined.
- In a skillet, heat up coconut oil over medium-high heat.
- Drop mixture into the skillet. When bubbles appear on the pancake, flip it over.
- Repeat until all the mixture is gone.