Ooooh I love pesto, especially when it’s made with fresh basil and lemon juice. I really love pesto because it’s simple. Check out my recipe for Pesto Chicken & Spaghetti Squash.
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 lb. chicken breasts (skinless, boneless)
- 1 cup basil leaves
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chop spaghetti squash into thirds, then place in large pot on stovetop. Add enough water to barely cover the squash. Bring to a rolling boil, let boil for 10 minutes. Turn off heat and leave spaghetti squash in pot as you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Chop chicken into chunks – roughly 1.5 inches in diameter. Heat up a skillet over medium heat, adding 1 tbsp olive oil. Add chicken and cook until lightly golden.
- While chicken is cooking, place all pesto ingredients in a mini-food processor and process until smooth. If the pesto is still too chunky, add more olive oil.
- Carefully use a fork to remove spaghetti squash from the pot (careful – the water is still hot). Using the fork, shred the spaghetti squash flesh from rind. Place flesh in a strainer and let sit five minutes over the pot, or until most of the water has drained. Press on squash with the fork to remove all excess water.
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl until thoroughly combined.